Friday, November 20, 2009

I Cried Today (er, yesterday)

Ok, so here goes take two. I hope I don't forget anything! Whenever this season comes around, it changes my perspective on being a mother, and on my Salvation. How could Mary have lived knowing Who Jesus really was. I don't think she could have known the true extent of what was to come, or she wouldn't have survived. But to think that the fate of the world lay in the body of this tiny baby. This fragile little body that had been placed in her care. The pressure to raise Him right and to keep Him safe must have been unbelievable. Then there must have been the temptation to spoil Him rotten only because she knew how special He truly was. We all have grand hopes and dreams for our children, but Mary KNEW that in Her son's future was the greatest plan of all. How could she discipline the Son of God? Wow.
Then as He got older, and started to push people, I wonder how many times she scolded him. Told Him to blend in, you don't want these people upset with you. I wonder how many nights she laid in bed crying in fear for His safety.
Then in the horrible end, to see her BABY beaten beyond recognition. To see Him in such pain, and not be able to do ANYTHING about it. How strong her faith must have been to just go on living, let alone to believe that her Father could take something so horrendous, and use it for something so good!
I don't think that Mary should be worshiped, or prayed to, but I do believe that she had to be the strongest woman to ever walk this earth to go through what she went through and keep on living. I know I could never do it. I would have done everything to save my son, and that is why God chose Mary.
When I think about Jesus as a tiny, defenseless baby, it makes what God did and what He did that much more real to me. Maybe that's because I have so much experience with babies...
So this is the song that got me thinking about all of this:

Joseph's Lullaby-Mercy Me

Go to sleep my son
This manger for your bed
You have a long road before You
Rest Your little head

Can you feel the weight of Your glory
Do You understand the price?
Or does the Father guard Your heart so
You can sleep tonight?

Go to sleep my son
Go and chase Your dreams
This world can wait for one more moment
Go and sleep in peace

I believe the glory of Heaven
Is lying in my arms tonight
But Lord, I ask that He for just one moment
Simply be my child

Go to sleep my son
Baby close Your eyes
Soon enough You'll save the day
But for now, dear child of mine
Oh, my Jesus, sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment